Learn Hands-Only CPR Free in Minutes – Wednesday, May 24th
The Prince George’s County Fire/EMS Department will be holding a free public Hands-Only CPR class at the HVFD on Wednesday, May 24th between 11am and 2pm. Come anytime during those hours (arrive before 1:30p for last sessions), the short sessions will be held throughout the event.
The firehouse is located at 6200 Belcrest Road, at the intersection with Queens Chapel Road and Queensbury Road and just a half block walk from the Prince George’s Plaza Metro station.
Why Learn Hands-Only CPR?
Via the Maryland Resuscitation Academy
- Sudden Cardiac Arrest is the leading cause of death in the U.S. affecting nearly 400,000 people a year
- The SCA victim has no heartbeat, is not breathing normally, and will die within minutes is CPR is not started
- SCA can happen to anyone – at any age and any time
- Most SCAs happen outside of a hospital – many at home, work, and school
- Starting CPR right away, using just your hands, and using an AED as soon as it’s available greatly increase the victim’s chance of survival
- No mouth-to-mouth breathing is needed for adult victims
- Very few victims receive CPR from bystanders because they are afraid of hurting the victim or making a mistake
- Rescuers are protected by the Good Samaritan Law.
Get the Pulse Point App
If you know CPR, be sure to download the PulsePoint app, which alerts you to nearby incidents where your help could make a difference in saving someone’s life. It’s now available in Prince George’s County and many other jurisdictions nationwide.
- Instructions for Downloading PulsePoint application
Training citizens Community CPR and Pulsepoint. Today more than 100 citizens trained. pic.twitter.com/XRFpXXFtLx
— HANDSONLYCPR-PGFD (@Firemedic1999) October 22, 2016