1. After completing the online request form, each prospective member will be contacted and must complete and submit a standard Hyattsville Volunteer Fire Department Application The application includes personal information, lists of personal references and fire department acquaintances; and authorizations for license, criminal and arson background checks
2. The applicant will schedule a ride-along through the Recruitment & Retention Committee or our Administrative & Membership Assistant.
3. The applicant may be contacted to schedule an interview with a member(s) of the Recruitment & Retention Committee. In the interview, you will be asked questions like:
- What attracted you to our agency?
- What work experience do you have?
- What skills, experience or knowledge do you feel you have to contribute?
- What are your strengths? Weaknesses?
- Do you have previous volunteer experience?
- What would you like to get out of volunteering here?
- Do you like to work on your own, with a group or with a partner? Why?
- While we are not looking for ‘canned answers,’ we hope that you will give these questions some thought and be prepared with your responses.
Candidates must completely review THIS document prior to the interview and must agree they can meet the requirements outlined for their membership type for the application to proceed.
Next Steps if Conditionally Approved
If the Recruitment & Retention Committee conditionally recommends you for membership, you will be provided with a Prince George’s County Fire & EMS Department Application, which is required of all members. This application packet includes providing additional photos, fingerprints for a background check and a notarized document.
Once your background check clears with the county, if you are a Fire/Rescue or EMS Only member, you will also need to schedule a physical with the county provider to formally complete the Application process.
If your membership request is recommended by the R&R Committee AND you pass your background check and physical (if required), the committee will make its recommendation to the Board of Directors at the next meeting following the fully completed application. If a meeting is not immediately upcoming, a conditional approval may be given permitting you to schedule your Volunteer Recruit School course, typically held monthly in Bowie. You will need reliable transportation as we do not provide transportation to classes
If you do not pass your Prince George’s County background check and/or physical, it is your responsibility to follow up with the appropriate parties to resolve the issue. You will be provided the appropriate party(s) to contact if you wish to resolve any issue. The Hyattsville Volunteer Fire Department will not be made aware of the reasons of the failure of either test and cannot assist you in resolution. Even if we have conditionally approved you as a member, your application will not proceed without required county approvals.
1. A majority vote by the Board of Directors will decide if the applicant is accepted or declined.
- If accepted, the new member will be notified to report to the fire station to complete follow-up processing, be assigned to an officer for mentoring and more.
- If an applicant is declined membership, he/she may not reapply for one year.
2. Unless otherwise documented, new members must complete new recruit orientation prior to responding to emergency incidents.
3. Upon acceptance into membership, a new recruit will begin a one-year probationary period subject to the terms and conditions described above and in the by-laws, rules & regulation and other documented policies and requirements of the corporation.